Copy link
Increase text size
Decrease text size
Link copied

ASIC gives micro-investment app Raiz a go signal for Bitcoin fund

Image by fdecomite from Flickr

Tue, 21 Jan 2020, 09:03 am UTC

The Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC) has approved Raiz’s plan to bring Bitcoin to the masses, The Australian Financial Review reported.

Founded in 2016, Raiz is an Australian fintech company that allows customers to make micro-investments. Using its app, customers can invest spare change left from everyday purchases automatically into exchange-traded funds (ETFs).

The company is now aiming to bring bitcoin exposure to retail investors via a new fund. The ASIC’s approval was purportedly the last legal hurdle that Raiz needed to overcome to start its retail Bitcoin fund.

The ASIC's decision was a huge surprise especially as the regulator was previously suspicious of crypto assets.

Customers opting for the bitcoin retail fund would see the majority of their funds (95 percent) invested in ETFs and the remaining 5 percent invested in bitcoin. Raiz is planning to launch the bitcoin fund in the first half of 2020.

In December, the company reported having $445 million funds under management from its 211,000 paying clients. At present, Raiz has over 300,000 registered clients and all of them will have the chance to invest in bitcoins.

Raiz Invest CEO George Lucas believes that “in this asset allocation, bitcoin is treated as similar to an alternative asset class.” According to Bitcoin Exchange Guide, Lucas also announced that they will be partnering with Gemini as the latter will be their fund’s custodian.

However, he didn’t provide details on how they will be working together as partners. Instead, he said that he will announce more details of their partnership when the app will be launched.

Meanwhile, Kraken just announced that they acquired Australia’s longest-running digital currency exchange Bit Trade. Following the acquisition, the Bitcoin platform is aiming to be the country’s premier crypto service. They wanted to have the best AUD liquidity, trading experience and customer support for both of their institutional and retail clients.

TokenPost | [email protected]

<Copyright © TokenPost. All Rights Reserved. >

To leave a comment, please sign in.
More
  • Bitcoin (BTC) $8,879.50 (+0.89%)
  • Ethereum (ETH) $233.34 (+2.18%)
  • XRP (XRP) $0.224600 (+0.84%)
  • Bitcoin Cash (BCH) $328.90 (+2.88%)
  • Bitcoin SV (BSV) $231.67 (+2.66%)
  • Bitcoin (BTC) $8,879.50 (+0.89%)
Feb 21, 2020 (Friday)
12:01
Paxos launches blockchain-based securities settlement solution with Credit Suisse and Instinet
12:00
Brazil to launch new payment system in response to cryptocurrencies
11:59
Digital currency exchange Coinbase Pro lists Kyber Network token
11:57
Norwegian Air to soon start accepting crypto payments
10:21
Swedish central bank begins CBDC pilot with Accenture
09:51
Italian soccer team Juventus launches ethereum-based digital collectibles with Sorare
Feb 20, 2020 (Thursday)
14:16
Telecom companies complete cross-carrier mobile payments using blockchain
11:53
National Stock Exchange of Australia to develop DLT-based digital securities trading platform
11:00
South Korean ICO project discontinued, to return $7.5M to token holders
10:36
Samsung maintains crypto support in soon-to-launch Galaxy S20
09:41
BIS appoints Innovation Hub heads to lead Singapore and Switzerland
09:15
Coinbase becomes first crypto company to receive Visa principal membership
08:59
Dubai Economy and six banks launch KYC Blockchain Consortium
08:26
Crypto Technicals: ETH/USD under downside pressure after 'Bearish Engulfing' pattern
07:12
Tim Draper buys $1M worth of Aragon Tokens to create digital courts for DAOs
06:13
Renewable energy firm Acciona commits to take CBI’s blockchain-based carbon credits trading platform global
05:02
Crypto Technicals: BTC/USD trades below 21-EMA, break below 4H 200 MA (9386) to trigger further downside
04:56
Crypto exchange Coinfloor to launch a simplified bitcoin buying service
04:35
Indonesia’s customs department joins IBM- Maersk blockchain shipping platform “TradeLens”
Feb 19, 2020 (Wednesday)
12:46
Crypto custodian BitGo acquires digital securities startup Harbor
Subscribe to the TokenPost newsletter!
Don't show me this again today.
Back to top
Copyright ⓒ TokenPost. All Rights Reserved.
PUBLISHsoft